Many organizations are working hard to ensure that the growing need for assistance is met during the coronavirus crisis. We will add to this list as information becomes available.
Rockbridge Hunger Coalition
• This group of non-profits is a hub for all area food resources.
• Latest updates on where to find food assistance, including Rockbridge Area Relief Association (RARA), local schools and other providers is here.
• In addition to running the Lexington food pantry, RARA has a hotline for emergency financial assistance for rent and utilities.
• The RARA HelpLine is emergency relief in the form of financial assistance for Rockbridge Area families who need temporary help with rent, utilities, heating fuel, or gasoline.
• In some instances RARA provides emergency shelter to transient, needy families, as well as referrals to other help agencies.
• RARA does not cover assistance for purchase of clothing, prescriptions, medications or phone bills.
• Applications can be made by phone Mondays to Thursdays, 9 am to 12 pm at 463-6642, or by email to at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• This non-profit helps low-income people solve legal problems. Its website provides a wealth of information addressing the coronavirus crisis:
* General legal information
* Housing information & rights
* Health Insurance and healthcare rights
of Social Services (RDSS)
• RDSS is conducting interviews for benefits via telephone and will accept verifications through USPS or electronically. Verifications brought to the agency should be placed in the drop box outside the main entrance. Paper forms are available outside the main entrance.
• To apply for SNAP, Medicaid and TANF, call (855) 635-4370
• To apply for Medicaid only, call (855) 242-8282
• To apply online: www.commonhelp.virginia.gov
• To access the Healthcare Market Place, call (800) 318-2596 or visit healthcare.gov
• For an EBT Replacement card, call (866) 281-2448
• To report to Adult Protective Services, call (888) 832-3858