top of page

Emergency Needs

Many organizations are working hard to ensure that the growing need for assistance is met during the coronavirus crisis. We will add to this list as information becomes available.

Rockbridge Hunger Coalition

    • This group of non-profits is a hub for all area food resources.

     • Latest updates on where to find food assistance, including Rockbridge Area Relief Association (RARA), local schools and other providers is here.

Rockbridge Area

Relief Association

          • In addition to running the Lexington food pantry, RARA has a hotline for emergency financial assistance for rent and utilities.

          • The RARA HelpLine is emergency relief in the form of financial assistance for Rockbridge Area families who need temporary help with rent, utilities, heating fuel, or gasoline.

           • In some instances RARA provides emergency shelter to transient, needy families, as well as referrals to other help agencies.

            • RARA does not cover assistance for purchase of clothing, prescriptions, medications or phone bills.

          • Applications can be made by phone Mondays to Thursdays, 9 am to 12 pm at 463-6642, or by email to at

• This non-profit helps low-income people solve legal problems. Its website provides a wealth of information addressing the coronavirus crisis:

       * General legal information

       * Housing information & rights

       * Health Insurance and healthcare rights 

Rockbridge Department

of Social Services (RDSS)

     • RDSS is conducting interviews for benefits via telephone and will accept verifications through USPS or electronically. Verifications brought to the agency should be placed in the drop box outside the main entrance. Paper forms  are available outside the main entrance. 

          • To apply for SNAP, Medicaid and TANF, call (855) 635-4370

          • To apply for Medicaid only, call (855) 242-8282

          • To apply online:

          • To access the Healthcare Market Place, call (800) 318-2596 or visit

          • For an EBT Replacement card, call (866) 281-2448

          • To report to Adult Protective Services, call (888) 832-3858

Local Resource List

         If your organization -- or one that you know of -- should be listed here, please send the organization's description and contact information in an email to or call 801-609-4357.  

bottom of page